Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"That didn't sound quite right, did it?" - Please confirm that you are over 18 years old before reading the following post!

The scene is a Starbucks outside of Tucson Arizona, a Thursday morning, quite a busy place. I am in line, in front of me a mother with her two kids, one on her arm, probably some 2 years old or so, the other maybe a year or two older on the ground, playing with a little colorful rubber ball. Of course the ball is flying all over the Starbucks place, once I pick it up and put it back in the kids hands, another time some other coffee hungry person in line does. Just when the mother is approaching the desk to place her order a gentleman probably in his seventies somewhere behind me picks the ball up and gives it to the little one on the arm of the mom instead, the little one quickly put the rubber ball in her mouth. The mother takes it out and hands it to the kid standing on the floor looking up with his cute big eyes. Just as the mom was at the desk to place her order the little kid on the floor takes control over the scene that morning at Starbucks: “She just licked my ball, mommy!” loud and clear, the little one says. I burst out laughing; the cute blond girl behind the desk quickly tries to safe the situation: “That didn’t sound quite right, did it?” Mommy didn’t think it was very funny and gives me a killing look. While the blond one behind the counter would love to join me laughing but very professionally bits her lips instead. None of the other guests seem to have picked up on it or their mind is just not as messed up as mine…. or here people do not let their thoughts drift away to such fun things, do they?
Eventually everyone gets his or her coffee, the little one has his ball back, the world is back in order. A beautiful sunny day as I step out with my Espresso, still a little smile on my face.
If only mommy would remember and tell the boy the story in some 15 years. They could have a good laugh all together.

1 comment:

  1. Gut konnte diese Mutter Deine Gedanken nicht nachvollziehen, die hätte Dich glatt die Gummiballe schlucken lassen....

    ReplyDelete