Sunday, September 25, 2011

Way to Bahia de Los Angeles and on

some times you're better off taking the Baja race track than staying on the rough  main road

The road south from San Felipe is good, not always paved but in very good condition. Easily doable with any passenger vehicle or a motorbike. Wouldn't maybe bring a Porsche but otherwhise pretty easy. There is one military check-point on the way and you might have guys with automatic guns searching your vehicle. I crossed a couple of military Hummers full of soldiars with guns and everything. I kept waving and smiling at them friendly, they did too. Once I crossed a white pick-up van with guys on the back with guns, they looked like military too and I waved and smiled and they all waved back.

Left over's from the race form little shrines

Coco's Corner: You will almost have to stop at Coco's. Since he has the road kind of barricaded off and guids the rare trafic through his yard. He will sell you a Coke or a Modelo and share some of his stories with you. Coco has no legs from the knees down but will move around like that rather quickly. He is running his "Coco's Corner" since over 21 years and had the world visiting him. His shelter is full of signed ladies underwear and bras of all types and sizes and he has pictures and parts and pieces of many Baja race cars or bikes. When I was there one Hummer after the other pulled up, the machine-gun guys where super nice and friendly. Soon Coco run out of cold drinks. Coco's corner is even on the maps. As John told me, that's a have to. The road back to Mex 1 is easy and uneventful.

In the middle of the desert I found a boat...
In Bahia de Los Angeles I camped at "Daggett's Campground & Sport Fishing" cool and easy place, directly at the beach. Turn right when you get to the roundabout and head North, just less than a kilometer and you'll see the sign to the right. There are several rigs that seem to be parked there permanently but they are all parked in the back, so you get the front row beach sites. There is no power or water at the sites but they have toilets and showers and a "drink water" fosset with non-salty water. The water in the sea of Cortes is beautifully clear. I did some Kayaking down into the bay and back. Strong winds from the West make it very hard to paddle back should you decide to head for one of the 5 islands in front of you when you are at the Daggett's. Therefore I did not... There must be good fishing there, I met a couple of guys from Santa Barbara and they said they would come here every year to fish.

bedroom view

Camping at Daggett's Campground


While I was Kayaking near the shore I could see many beautiful colored fishes, just the kind of type that used to be on my doctors assistance desk in a big fish bowl when I was a tiny little kid and got my flue shots. Just before I was about to turn around to head back North a group of dophins where passing by about 50 meters in front of me. It was beautiful, they were jumping like they would have gone to school at sea world.



The road further down is easy, some sandy spots but doable with a passenger car up until the cross road where it goes east to San Francisquito and South-West to El Arco. For a short while it gets a little challanging, not really four wheel drive territory but you want a car with high ground clearance. Four wheel drive does not hurt either. More important though, I would say are good tires and a full size spare. I also drove up to the Mission Santa Gertrudis, surprisingly well marked everywhere and down from there on a Baja 500 style sand piste, all staight with some wash boards but if you speed it up high enough you'll kind of fly over them and your car will stop rattleing. Soon you'll be back on Mex 1. 

The road to El Arco...

...can be a little rough

But the finale is Baja 500 alike

No comments:

Post a Comment