Thursday, October 20, 2011

Los Barilles to Cabo or is it Bali?

Since I was so impressed with the beauty of that all those small roads along the coast and through the mountains have offered ever since I have left La Paz I have decided to remain faithful to my principle to take the smallest roads possible. Just after a couple of kilometers outside of Los Barilles their is a sandy dirt road that takes off in a 90° angle from Mex 1. There is a large sign that says "Ranch Lenero Resort", that road toke me again along the coast, first you will drive about 5 or 6 kilometers through the bushes and a small house (mostly for sale) in the area but than I got to the road along the coast again.


I followed that road along the coast. There were a couple of beautiful beaches at one of them I took a stop, went to cool off in the waves and put up may hammock for a little rest (still could feel those beers of a long night up with Brigitte & Peter and just hanging in there seemed to be perfect...) 





North of San Jose del Cabo I parked my car in an Arroyo as Donna described me to. I have met Donna and her friends and many dogs several times on my trip, first at Playa Coyote and following that more than once again when we just picked the same places to camp by chance. 



Donna invited me to camp just next to where she was living and I could use shower and restroom at here place. Donna has a fantastically beautiful, mystic, peaceful place. Her Bali-Hut's as she calls them because they were inspired by the trips she took to Bali for many years and what she saw there at the beach. And that is how she designed her houses here in Cabo. Very beautifully simple. Solar powered 12 Volts only, open on two sides, just perfect for the hot weather here. Her yard is full of plants, palm trees, birds, turtles, dogs, little things here and there. Just like one of those pictures you can look at again and again and discover something new each time you look at it. Just fantastic. I camped there for two nights, Donna let me use one of her Bali-Huts to spend the day. This was one of the most peaceful days of my entire trip. I was sitting up there overlooking the ocean, listening to the waves hitting the shore, reading, napping away, planning the next couple of days of my trip, taking a nap again, just some how magic how those simple Bali Huts just blend in with the nature of the beach and the shore and almost become one with it. Donna barbaqued a fantastic dinner, I supplied a bottle of wine that was hidden in the blue truck's wine cellar since California. It was interesting to just chat along with Donna about how she started building the Bali Huts, how she came to Cabo over 20 years ago, when none of the Gringo mansions where there. Her life of travelling in her perfectly set up motorhome and all along the dogs got the bones of the so tasty rips that came off the bbq. Soon it was late, it was just two nights since full moon and as soon as my eyes got used to the the limited light I could find my way along the beach back to where the blue truck was parked, popped the roof and in the moring headed off towards Cabo.


















2 comments:

  1. You one lucky guy. Am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right on that Janet. Come along, it's just a few miles south...

    ReplyDelete